Updated April 16, 2014, 12:45am
Open Enrollment for Illinois ended March 31st
If you missed the deadline, mark your calendar: The next open enrollment begins November 15, 2014. That’s when you can sign up for tax-credit eligible health insurance.
In the meantime there’s another way to get a special window to sign up. If you have a major life event — like having a baby, adopting, losing coverage due to a job change or divorce — you’re likely eligible for a special enrollment period.
Illinois’ Affordable Care Act Choices
You’ve probably been reading a lot about the Affordable Care Act in the news lately. Each state has options about how to set up insurance marketplaces for its citizens.
- Illinois decided to partner with the federal government to set up a health insurance marketplace.
This means people in Illinois will use the federally facilitated marketplace (FFM) to shop for health insurance in 2014. And Illinois has already started the process to build its own state-based marketplace in 2015.
- Governor Pat Quinn also chose to expand Medicaid.
This means about 342,000 low-income Illinoisans will now be eligible for government-sponsored health insurance through Medicaid.
Where to Shop for Health Insurance in Illinois
|Federal Marketplace||Private Marketplaces|
|The state of Illinois chose to partner with the federal government for this first year of open enrollment. If you want to buy insurance through a government-run marketplace, your only option is the marketplace run by the feds — called the federally facilitated marketplace, or FFM. The FFM can help you access tax credits and subsidies if you’re eligible. When you shop on the FFM, you’ll fill out an application to determine if you qualify for discounts and a lower monthly payment.
You can access the FFM online at healthcare.gov
|If you’d like an alternative to the federally-administered marketplace, you can shop on a marketplace that’s operated by a private company. The best private marketplaces are creating an easy, seamless shopping experience and delivering excellent customer service. They’ll help you estimate what discounts you’ll get when you shop for insurance.
In addition, a select few private marketplaces (like GetInsured) have a formal partnership with the federal government, which means you can get direct access to those federal discounts while still enjoying the private marketplace shopping experience.
Illinois Health Insurance Marketplace Plan Contact Information
|Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois||800-538-8833|
|Coventry Health Care||855-449-2889|
|Health Alliance Medical Plans||866-247-3296|
|Humana Health Plan, Inc.||877-720-4854|
|Humana Insurance Company||877-720-4854|
|Land of Lincoln Mutual Health Insurance Co.||888-858-9130|
- Qualified Health Plans in Illinois See the full list of Qualified Health Plans (QHP) available on healthcare.gov in the state of Illinois. Read more
- When I Apply for Health Insurance Tax Credits, How Will My Income Be Verified? You’re applying for health insurance discounts — but how will the government know what your household income really is? Read more
- Health Insurance Discounts Nearly 26 million Americans will qualify for tax credits and subsidies to help them afford health insurance. Here’s what you need to know about how these health insurance discounts work. Read more
- ACA in Every State Every state has options about how to implement the Affordable Care Act. Find out more about how these options might affect you. Read more