Updated July 1, 2014, 8:00pm
Open Enrollment for Kansas ended March 31st
If you missed the deadline, mark your calendar: The next open enrollment begins November 15, 2014. That’s when you can sign up for tax-credit eligible health insurance.
In the meantime there’s another way to get a special window to sign up. If you have a major life event — like having a baby, adopting, losing coverage due to a job change or divorce — you’re likely eligible for a special enrollment period.
Kansas’ Affordable Care Act Choices
You’ve probably been reading a lot about the Affordable Care Act in the news lately. Each state has options about how to set up insurance marketplaces for its citizens.
- Kansas decided not to create a state-run health insurance marketplace. Instead, the federal government will run the marketplace.
- Governor Sam Brownback also turned down Medicaid expansion.
Where to Shop for Health Insurance in Kansas
|Federal Marketplace||Private Marketplaces|
|The state of Kansas opted not to set up a state-based marketplace for health insurance. If you want to buy insurance through a government-run marketplace, your only option is the marketplace run by the feds – called the federally-facilitated marketplace (FFM). The FFM can help you access tax credits and subsidies if you’re eligible. When you shop on the FFM, you’ll fill out an application to determine if you qualify for discounts and a lower monthly payment.
You can access the FFM online at healthcare.gov
|If you’d like an alternative to the federally-administered marketplace, you can shop on a marketplace that’s operated by a private company.The best private marketplaces are creating an easy, seamless shopping experience and delivering excellent customer service. They’ll help you estimate what discounts you’ll get when you shop for insurance.
In addition, a select few private marketplaces (like GetInsured) have a formal partnership with the federal government, which means you can get direct access to those federal discounts while still enjoying the private marketplace shopping experience.
Kansas Health Insurance Marketplace Plan Contact Information
|Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City||888-800-4478|
|Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas, Inc||800-392-7366|
|Coventry Health and Life||855-449-2889|
|Coventry Health Care Of Kansas Inc||855-449-2889|
- Qualified Health Plans in Kansas See the full list of Qualified Health Plans (QHP) available on healthcare.gov in the state of Kansas. Read more
- When I Apply for Health Insurance Tax Credits, How Will My Income Be Verified? You’re applying for health insurance discounts — but how will the government know what your household income really is? Read more
- Health Insurance Discounts Nearly 26 million Americans will qualify for tax credits and subsidies to help them afford health insurance. Here’s what you need to know about how these health insurance discounts work. Read more
- ACA in Every State Every state has options about how to implement the Affordable Care Act. Find out more about how these options might affect you. Read more